2015년 11월 8일 일요일

[입트영] 11월 둘째주

11. 13 Talk about when something broke down at a house

I remember a time when the heater at my house broke down.
                                 보일러                        고장나다(부피가 있는 물건에만 씀)
We had to get it fixed right away.
                               바로
It turned out that there was a air in the pipes.

Plus there was a time when the electronic door lock didn't work properly.
                                전자 잠금장치            제대로 작동하지 않다

The door wouldn't open, we got locked out.
                                       (밖에서 못들어감. lock in : 안에서 못나옴)

It turned out that the lock ran out of batteries.
                                  건전지가 다 떨어지다  

We change the batteries, and it started to work again.

Also there were times when home appliances  didn't work well  at my house.
                                      가전제품
Once the washer stopped working.

We had to call a person to fix it.

There was something wrong with the motor.

And we had to get some parts changed.
                   부품 (복수로 쓴다) 교체하다

<Today's Expression>
desk lamp 탁상용 스탠드
The (light) bulb went out. 전구에 불이 나가다.


11. 12 Talk about  a time when water leaked in your house

I remember when water leaked from kitchen sink last year.
                                 ~에서 새다
(*Make sure the coffee doesn't leak from tumbler. 커피 새지 않게 주의해.
*Close the lid tight. 뚜껑 꼭 닫아
*The secret leaked out 비밀이 새나갔어.)

There are something wrong with the pipe underneath the kitchen sink.
    ~가 좀 이상해요                                  아래쪽
(*there was something wrong with my cellphone. 핸드폰이 이상해요)

There was water all over floor, and it was mess.
                                           엉망이었다
(My life is mess: 인생이 엉망이야.)

We had to call a person to fix the problem.
                                    문제를 해결하다
(I can fix the problem myself. 내가 알아서 해결할 수 있어요.)

There was another time when water leaked from pipes connected to the A.C.

The water made the wallpaper wet.
   (*make something wet 젖게 했다)        

And there was a mold there a few months later.
                      곰팡이

We had to re-do the wallpaper later on.
                  도배를 다시하다
(we re-did the wallpaper when we moved in. 이사할 때 도배를 다시했어.)

Last of all, I also remember when water leaked from the fridge and the water purifier.
                                                                                           정수기
We took care of problem with the help of people from the service center.
    문제를 처리하다, 해결하다
(We spent a lot of money to take care of problem. 해결하려고 돈을 많이 썼어.)


<Today's expression>
Watch you step, The floor is slippery. 조심해, 바닥이 미끄러워.
Let me help you clean it up. 내가 치우는 거 도와줄게.



11.11 Talk about the perception Koreans have on age

Age is an important factor in human relationships in Korea.
              중요한 요소
There is a strict age hierarchy in people's minds.
                위계질서(하이어아끼)  머릿속/정신에
(In the western, a age hierarchy is more blurry. 서구에서는 나이위계가 덜 명확하다)

This is based on the Confucianism culture.
                              유교문화

One of the first thing people want to know about other people is their age.

If some one is older than you, you are expected to show a certain level of respect. 
                                                         어느 정도의 예의를 지켜야/보여줘야 한다

You normally use  honorifics to people who are older than you.
                      존대법 (어너리픽스)
(Foreigners have hard time learning honorific. 외국인들에게 존대법이 어렵다.
Honorifics are the beauty of the Korean language. 존대는 한국어의 묘미다.)

There are even words to address people who are older such as 누나, 오빠
                            호칭하다 (강세뒤쪽)

Plus the word friend is only used for people who are the same age as you.
(We are all the same age as one another. 우린 모두 동갑이다.)

Overall age plays a big role in relationships in Korea.
               큰 역할을 하다    관계에서
(Mutual hobbies play a big role in a relationship. 비슷한 취미는 관계에서 큰 역할을 한다)


<Today's Expression>
We are six years apart. 우린 6살 차이나.
We are one year apart. 우린 연년생이다.
How many years apart are you? 몇 살 차이 나요?
We have quite an age gap. 나이차가 꽤 납니다.


11.10 Talk about problems you had while shopping at a store

I went shopping for groceries right before the family holidays.
  장보러 가다   바로 직전.

The discount store was packed with people who came to shop for things just like myself
( *be packed with 원체 많았다. 가득차다, 꽉차다)

There was a long line at the cashier.
                               계산대      
   
so it took much longer than usual to pay for the things I had bought.
       평소보다 (시간이) 더 걸리다

Even worse I left my cellphone behind at the cashier.
(*leave behind: 두고 오다)

So I had to run back to get it.

I also remember a time when I bought a sweater at a store.

I tried it on later and find out that it was too big for me.

I took it back to the store several weeks later, only to find out that it was too late to get a refund. 
(*only to: 결국 ~밖에 안됐다. (실망 표현))

Plus I had taken off the tag.

I had no choice but to just bring it back  home.
(*had no choice but to: 어쩔수 없이 ~하다)

I had no choice but to cab it home: 어쩔 수 없이 택시 타고 왔어.
I had no choice but to let him go : 그를 놔줄 수 밖에 없었어.

My credit card maxed out : 신용카드 한도가 초과됐어.
(+I maxed out on my credit card)


11. 9 Talk about when you are unsatisfied about something that you bought Online

I once remember ordering  a pair of jeans online.
                                  (바지도 다 '복수'로 표현)

I paid for the order and they arrived three days later.
 (*pay for 결제하다) (*the order 주문내역)    

I tried them on, but they didn't fit me.
입어보다/신어보다              내게 잘 맞다
(You should try on the shoes before buy them)

They were too small.

I couldn't understand because I had ordered my size.

Plus there was a stain on the jeans.

Eventually I sent the jeans back and got a refund.

but it took me two full weeks to solve the problem.
         2주가 꼬박 걸렸다

I also remember when I ordered a hoody online

I really liked the design and I got a great deal because of a promotion.

But when I got the hoody, the quality was much lower than I expected.
                                                                           내 예상보다
(*I arrived earlier than I expected. 내 예상보다 일찍 도착했어)

I didn't want to wear it.

However It felt like a hassle to get a refund, so I just kept it.
           귀찮게 느껴졌다.

<Today's expression>

Taking out the garbage, feels like a hassle sometimes. 쓰레기 버리는 게 가끔 귀찮다.
Do I have to pay for the shipping to send it back?  반품할 때 비용을 제가 내야 합니까?
I didn't have to pay for the shipping 배송비를 내지 않았다. 무료배송이었어.


댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기

참고: 블로그의 회원만 댓글을 작성할 수 있습니다.