2015년 11월 29일 일요일

[입트영] 12월 첫째주

12.4 Talk about the heating system in Korea

Most Korean houses heat the floor to make the house warm.

The heater boils water and sends it to pipes each room .
  보일러
(Do you mind if I turn off the heater? 히터 꺼도 되겠니?
I forgot to turn off the heater in the morning. 아침에 보일러 끄는 걸 잊었다)

There are pipes through which water runs underneath the floor.
                             액상이 흐르는 상태를 말할때
(*underneath: 바로 아래, 특히 뭔가에 덮혀있어 눈에 보이지 않을때/ under는 그냥 아래쪽)
There is mold underneath the floor. 바닥아래 곰팡이가 꼈다.
We need to install pipes underneath the floor. 바닥 아래 파이프를 설치해야한다.)

The heat generated from the pipes makes the floor warm.
                                                        따뜻하게 하다
(*The heater in the middle made the room warm. 중앙에 있는 난로가 방을 따뜻하게 해준다
The gloves will make your hands warm. 장갑이 손을 따뜻하게 해줄거야.)

The warm floor heats the air in the room.
바닥이 데워지면서 공기도 데워진다.
(*I just heat it up in the microwave. 그냥 전자렌지에서 데울게.
I turn on the heater to heat the air in the room. 방안 공기를 데우려고 보일러를 켰다.)

The air circulates and makes the whole room warm.
           순환하다
(*Leave the windows open so that the air can circulates  공기가 순환되게 창문을 열어놔라.
This medicine helps you blood circulate. 이 약은 혈액순환을 돕는다.)

This means of heating dates back to hundreds of years ago.
   방법, 수단             거슬러 올라가다

Back then they used to use large stones instead of pipes.

Since the air in doors can get very dry with the heater on.
 보일러를 틀어놓으면 실내공기가 매우 건조해질 수 있다.

People have a humidifier in the house.
                     가습기
<Today's Expression>
Commercial buildings have central heating system. 상업빌딩은 중앙난방장치가 있다.



12.3 Talk about a time when you fell down in the snow

I remember when it snowed few days ago.

I was walking down the stairs in front of my apartment.
       계단을 내려가고 있었다 <-> walk up the stairs

There were snow on the stairs and it was very slippery.

I tried to be as careful as I can, but I slipped and fell down.
                                            미끄러져 넘어졌다
                              (*tripped and fell down은 발에 걸려 넘어질때)

I fell on my back and hands. It was very painful.
  뒤로 넘어져서 손을 짚었다.
(*fall on my front/face 앞으로 넘어지다=fall forward)
(*fall flat on my face 앞으로 넘어져 얼굴을 꽝 박았을 때)
(*fall on my butt 엉덩방아를 찧다)
(*fall on my knees 무릎으로 넘어졌다)

I didn't break a bone or anything, but I sprained my wrist.
 뼈가 부러지지 않았지만                      (접질렀다=twist)

I went to the doctor to get it checked.
                                 검사받다
(*go to the doctor동네병원을 갈때/  go to the hospital 는 큰 병원을 갈때)
(I was taken to the hospital 병원에 실려갔다)
(*I went to a repair shop to get my car checked. 차 검사를 하기 위해 정비소에 갔다)

I had to put a bandage around it to make it heal faster.
  빨리 아물게 하려고 붕대를 감았다 (*cast: 깁스를 하다)

I also pulled the muscle in my back, and it hurt whenever I moved.
          허리를 삐끗하다
(*pull the muscle in my shoulder / neck/ back :어깨/목/ 허리를 삐끗하다)
(*sprain wrist /ankle: 손목/발목을 접지르다)

I was able to walk around, but couldn't run or work out for almost two weeks.

Ever since I always try to be extra careful not to slip when it snows.
                                                   하지 않도록

<Today's expression>
It could have been worse. 그나마 다행이야.(더 심했을수도 있었어.)



12. 2  Talk about when it snows heavily

I remember when it snowed a lot  last winter.

It snowed  over the weekend and continued just snowing until Monday morning.
          (*over + 기간: ~에 걸쳐서)       월요일아침까지 계속 내렸다

We got at least 15 centimeter of snow.

It was one of the heaviest snowfalls that year.
          그해 가장 많이 온 날 중 하나였다.
(*we got the heaviest snowfall in 10 years today. 10년만에 오늘 눈이 최고로 많이 내렸다)

Of course The streets got very slippery with the snow.
                   노면이 눈으로 매우 미끄러워졌다

people came out to cleaned the snow in front of their houses.
                          =sweep the snow 눈을 치우다

People had trouble with getting around because it was so slippery.
           어려움을 겪다    =move around 돌아다니다
(*let me know if you have trouble with getting around 다니는데 어려운 게 있으면 내게 말해.)

Traffic was bumper-to-bumper in many areas.
              범뻐루범뻐, 차가 줄을 잇다, 서행하다
(*Cars were bumper-to-bumper on Christmas eve 크리스마스 이브에 차가 엄청 막혔다)

There were many fender-benders as cars slipped on the snow.
                      가벼운 접촉사고     차가 눈에 미끄러지다

It got worse in the evening as the snow turned into ice.
상황이 악화되다                                형질이 바뀌다
(*My throat got worse. 목이 더 악화됐다.)

It was quite hard to move around until the snow melted.


<Today's Expression>
It snowed so much last week. 지난 주 눈이 엄청 왔었지.

We were snowed in. It's hard to walk around properly.
            눈에 갇혔어. (snow 가 동사로 쓰임)



12.1 Talk about how Koreans feel when it snows for the first time

The first snow for the winter is a big deal in Korea.
   첫눈                          기념할만한 일, 큰 일 overexcited about sth
(*Going to the theme park was a big deal when I was young. 어렸을 때, 테마 파크에 가는 일은 신나는 일이었다.
It was a big deal to win the championship. 챔피언에서 우승하는 건 대단한 일이었다)

People generally make a big fuss about the first snow.
                     들뜨다, 호들갑떤다(약간 부정적 의미 내포)
(*people made a big fuss about their wedding online. 사람들은 그들이 결혼하는 걸 두고 온라인에서 호들갑을 떨었다
I try not to make a big fuss about little things 작은 일에는 들뜨지 않으려고 한다)

People tend to get a bit sentimental when it snows for the first time.
    ~경향이있다   감상적이 되다                               처음으로
(*I get a bit sentimental at the end of year. 연말이 되면 좀 감상적이 된다)

They make sure to mark the occasion.
                        기념할 일을 만들다 (mark you calendar)

They message or call their loved ones to let them know of the first snow.
                                   사랑하는 사람들(가족, 애인)

People who were single tend to get the urge to go out with someone when they have seen the snow.  
(*get the urge: 해야한다, 강한 충동을 느낀다 
I always get the urge to eat 라면at night. 밤이 되면 라면이 먹고 싶어진다.
I get the urge to drink on Fridays. 금요일이 되면 술 한잔 하고 싶어진다.
I get the urge to go on trips myself when I see people's postings. 사람들 게시물 볼때면 나도 여행가고 싶어진다) 
(*go out with: ~만나다  /Are you going out with someone? 너 누구 만나는 사람 있니?)


The first snow doesn't always pile up but the sight of the snow make people excited.
                                       쌓이다                    눈 오는 것만 봐도 들뜬다
(*planing ahead for a trip make me excited. 여행 계획 세우는 것만으도 흥분된다)

People tend to have a lot of pleasant memories of the fist snow.
                                     기분좋은 추억거리

<Today's Expression>
I get sentimental when it snows. 눈 오면 감상적이 돼.
(*감정변화에 get을 쓴다)
It brings back good memories. 좋은 추억들이 생각 나거든.


11.30 Talk about some issues and instances in your community
                                    사건사고들
School bullying is a very serious issue in my community
학교 폭력
(*bully - 괴롭히는 사람, 괴롭히는 행위, 왕따)

I remember a bullying instance that happened in my neighborhood.

One of the victims took his own life and because of a bullying he was suffering from.
                       자살하다, 목숨을 끊다

The police investigated the instance.
               수사하다

It was in the new for quite sometime.
언론보도도 꽤 됐다 (특정매체를 언급할 땐 on을 씀)

Plus I remember a time when it rained a lot in my neighborhood several years back.

It was the monsoon season and it pour for several days.
                우기, 장마철             (포어) raining heavily (drizzling은 비가 살짝 내리는 거)

There were floods here and there.

Some underground parking lots went under water.
                              (*go under water 물에 침수되다, 잠기다)
(*Take deep breath before going under water. 잠수하기 전에 깊이 호흡해라.)

It was one of the heaviest rainfalls in the history.
                       (=worst)
           역대 가장 강수량이 많은 해였다

There were news reports about houses and structures being flooded.

Looking back it was quite scary experience.
되돌아보니

<Today's Expression>
I was shocked when I heard the news. 그 소식 듣고 진짜 충격받았어.

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기

참고: 블로그의 회원만 댓글을 작성할 수 있습니다.